Thursday, November 10, 2016

Xerox Art

Creating this project was embarrassing at some times, but I am happy with the final product. I chose to keep it basic and appropriate using my hands and face. I initially was going to remake the monkeys of 'hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil,' but my face did not copy so well in some of them so only speak and see came out clear enough. As I started copying, I was surprised at how well things were showing up like my fingerprints and the creases on my hands. After I had everything copied I wasn't sure of what I was going to do to make it all come together. Then as I cut it out, I just started to piece things together in different places. I knew I wanted my hands to be pointing outwards on the edges so I started there and just began putting things together and rearranging them.
I came up with two different designs and I took pictures of them with my phone. One of them, the one I decided on, had my hands radiating outwards with various other things on the inside. The other idea was to group the copies by color, ranging from white to black, and put it together like a gradient. But I didn't like the way that looked so I stuck to the radiating hands. When I went to the store to buy a poster to put it on I saw red and was hesitant at first then thought it would be really cool to have the pop of color coming from the background.
When I finished the project and stepped back and looked at it, I was very pleased with how it came out. Having the red background adds a whole other element to the piece that makes it stronger. I really like how, depending where you look on the poster, there is a different emotion or feeling. In one area you have my hands flipping off the audience, but right below that you have my hands in the shape of a heart. Certain copies of my face look extremely dark and creepy while others look like my face is smushed against a window. At first I didn't like how my eyes were just black holes, but looking at it now I think it adds to the confusion of this piece while still representing something that makes total sense. I look at this piece as different emotions we feel on a daily basis; there is love, hate, neutrality, confusion, peace, and intellect within this whole piece and that is why I think this comes together so beautifully even though initially it didn't seem like the pieces were going to fit at all. Although we are emotional human beings, somehow all of those emotions combine together to make a much larger piece, us.

No comments:

Post a Comment